Welcome to Dr Lincoln's blog

Welcome for visiting my blog. Hope you enjoy the visit and always welcome back again. Have a nice day!

2009-08-08

We need truth not lies regarding Chinese ethnic policies

Comments on Greg Sheridan “Courage of her convictions”, 8/08/2009, http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25898107-5013460,00.html

I am a Chinese Australian and belong to the Han ethnic. I have not been to Xinjiang, the Uighur Autonomous Region in China. I have not met Rebiya Kadeer personally. I don’t know much of what she has done either. So I can’t comment on whether the Chinese government’s claim she is a terrorist is correct or not, or whether the Australian government’s view that she is not a terrorist is correct or not.

However, what I can say is that some of what she has said is incorrect from my experience in China and my understanding of the Chinese government’s policies towards ethnic minorities including the Uighurs. More specifically, the following view of hers is clearly incorrect:

She says it is Beijing's policies that have made it difficult for Uighurs and Han Chinese to live together in harmony: "After six decades of Chinese rule, it is the Chinese government policy of portraying Uighurs as enemies of the state, and as a threat to the Chinese people, which has destroyed the preconditions of coexistence. The Chinese government rhetoric that Uighurs are all separatists has played a big role in making the minds of Chinese people see the Uighurs as enemies. As a result we saw the clashes of recent times. It's hard to imagine the two groups can go back to friendly relations."

As I said, I am an ethnic Han origine and lived, studied and lived in China for over 30 years. I am not aware of any Chinese government policies that have been adversely targeted towards any ethnic monorities in China. I have had no memory of any sorts of Chinese government policies that would have caused any ill feelings towards the Uighur ethnic people, or any other ethnic groups in China. So I can say categorically that these statements are false, incorrect and nothing more than lies.

In fact, ethnic monorities in China have been given preferential treatment than the dominant Han ethnic people.

One significant policy has been the family planning policy. The general policy has been characterised as one couple one child policy to control population growth. While the Han people have generally not allowed to have more than one child, the one child policy has not been applied to other ethnic minorities, so they can have more than one child.

Is that policy discriminatory towards ethnic minorities? Yes, but in their advantage or favour. Just think about how important the Chinese people think about family continuation from the male side of the family, one would understand that the Chinese government policy has not been anti ethnic minorities.

In terms of political representation, ethnic minorities have generally been given special above their population shares representation or quote in government or people’s representatives.

As I said I am a Han, so people may say that I am biased from the outset. That is understandable, but I am ready to debate with any person or people in terms of racial discrimination in China towards Chines ethnic groups. If I am presented true evidence that can show I am wrong, I would apologise.

PS: I think the Author of this article, Mr Greg Sheridan, has a strong bias towards the Chinese government. Although the Chinese government may have some problems in terms of human rights as the West sees it, it is incorrect and wrong to say that they have been racist towards ethnic minorities. I often find his views extreme and offensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment